Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Grandma

Yesterday Grandma had a stroke. She is a great lady and I hope she's not in pain. As of right now, her left side is paralyzed. She is unable to speak. The doctors cannot make a prognosis as to whether she will make a full or even partial recovery.

Grandma is not a young woman. She is in her late 80s. Recovery would probably include a lot of painful physical therapy.

I'm not sure how I feel. I don't want to lose my last surviving grandparent. She and I have had a special relationship for a long time. She spoils me terribly, even now when I'm in my 30s. When I have visited her home, I always knew I was loved.

I also don't want her to be in pain. And while I never felt like she complained too much, I know she's been miserable in her own way for quite a while. Many times when I've visited, she's told me how she wished she could walk better, because she always used to enjoy taking walks.

Grandpa's been gone for almost 15 years now. I'm sure that Grandma would love to join him in the great beyond.

Many of my friends (who I think are the only ones who look at this blog) have been the beneficiaries of Grandma's hospitality. Her house has been a convenient way station for trips to Las Vegas or Zion's National Park. If you have been touched by her kindness, please take a moment and say a prayer for Grandma Lub.

No comments: