Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wii Fit, Day 10.

(Not my actual Wii avatar...unfortunately, I'm somewhat higher than the BMI shown).

After fighting it for over a year, my lovely wife finally broke down and let me buy a Wii. A couple days later, we were fortunate enough to find a copy of Wii Fit at Circuit City. We snapped it up and promptly began trying to get our butts into shape. So far, I've managed to get up every morning before 6 so that I can play Wii Fit for at least 30 minutes of "Fit time" before work. Because you have the same introductions and closing remarks after every different exercise, this works out to at least 45 minutes of real time every morning.

One of the best features is the daily feedback when you check in for a Body Test. This weighs you, gives you your BMI, and then calculates your Wii Fit Age. The Wii Fit age is a measurement of how young your body is, and is calculated by taking your real age, the results of a balance test, the tidal force of the nearest ocean, and the closing stock price of Nintendo on the Nikkei stock exchange.

It's very cheesy, but I find myself getting excited and competitive about my daily results. I've lost over 5 pounds so far, and my Wii Fit Age has dropped from 46 to 34. Considering that I'm 32, I don't feel too horrible about the extra two years of age. So anyways, the goal is to keep up the Wii Fit regime along with any other exercise I might get and report the results every 10 days.

The other somewhat unexpected result is that as a result of all the balance games and feedback, I feel legitimately more balanced (literally) on a daily basis. It sounds ridiculous, I know, but somehow you feel like you are walking with better posture and distributing your weight more comfortably once you've done your time.

Note: Mrs. Floporama is also participating in Wii Fit. I'll leave it to her to detail her experiences.

No comments: