Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A little webcam fun


To try to alleviate the separation anxiety faced by mrs. floporama and myself, we decided to buy webcams. After purchasing the cameras with free two-day shipping (thanks, Amazon Prime!), they arrived today to be put to the test.

After a short setup, we were on our way. Since we got Microsoft webcams, we decided to try a video chat with Windows Live Messenger. The experience was a mixed bag. After a few minutes getting everything going, the connection was decent for a few minutes. Then it would crap out. Close the chat window and restart. This time there was a very annoying echo. Try again. Works for a few minutes, then freezes. Finally give up for the night.

All in all, it was a nice experience. It was great to see my wife's smiling face and also my lazy lazy cat. I wish the functionality were a little better, and I wonder how much of it has to do with the somewhat unreliable wireless network adapter on her computer. However, we will definitely be giving it another try. Slow video is better than no video, I always say.

Actually, I never say. In fact, until just now I've never said it. And come to think of it, I still didn't say it--I typed it. Okay, but now I did say it out loud. You'll have to take my word for it though, because I didn't record myself saying it. Which means, it may have never happened at all. If a guy says something in an empty apartment and nobody else hears him, does it make a sound? Also, I'm retarded. Kill this post now...

No comments: