Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Top 10

Things to love about Oregon:
1. No sales tax!
2. Full service gas only. (I will admit this one is still a little strange to me. It makes you feel a little lazy sitting in your car while someone else operates controls so simple that in most states teenagers can do it.)
3. Bike lanes everywhere--even though I am without a bike at the moment.
4. The sales tax is 0%
5. No traffic whatsoever--at least here in Medford.
6. Oregon Trail--the greatest educational computer game ever. And yes, I'm calling you out, Carmen Sandiego. No kid actually wants to try to track down obscure geographical trivia in order to chase after some dilettante in a floppy red hat. Also, it was endlessly frustrating to chase after Ms. Sandiego only to end up capturing some vile henchman. However, the TV show did have a great theme song. In fact, just thinking about it has made the song stuck in my head for at least an hour.

Give me Oregon Trail instead. Give me random illnesses. Give me dead oxen. And above all, give me a loss of most of my supplies from trying to float a dangerous river crossing! That's a real educational game!
7. Great weather--no ground snow in the winter, or at least so I've been told
8. Lighted street signs--while these are far from omnipresent, I've seen enough to be won over. It makes a world of difference just looking up and clearly being able to read the intersecting road, rather than having to slow down and look for which corner the road sign is on, then squinting to make it out in the dim streetlight.
9. Did I mention how everything is about 6.5% cheaper because there is no sales tax?
10. From my current apartment, all of the following are less than 10 minutes away:
Barnes & Noble
Fred Meyer
Applebee's
Quizno's
Subway
Ross
Taco Bell
and many more...oh, and did I mention that they are less than a 10 minute walk away? In 10 minutes I could drive to almost every store or restaurant imaginable.

No comments: